Question

Lower back ache

i have a terribly sever pain in the lower back going into the buttocks area or just above the buttocks rather, not higher up, i think its the -|- sick bone , i only ever experienced it in my 2 pregnancies, i gained a lot of weight. I am not preg and have been getting it on and off for the past 6 months now, my baby is 2 and i have lost all the extra weight am at the max weight for my height. Can carrying the two yr old cause a pain there? if not what could it be and do i nd to go to a dr. I recently had MRI of brain and spine for another ailment and the spinal one was all clear so not sure whether this nds investigation. Sometimes i struggle to get up esp from a lying position or turn in bed and it pulls me back, that bad! what is this?

Dear Anonymous
This could be due to a nerve root being pinched in the lower back or due to inflammation of the joint between the pelvis and the tailbone (SI joint). Please let your GP have a look to see if you need physiotherapy or if he can give you a prescription for an anti-inflammatory medication.