Question
Posted by: me again | 2010/09/21

lower abs

Hi Doc. What exercises can I do for my lower stomach? The muscles there seem to be slack. I have no fat on my abs so just need to strenthen the muscles. When I do the kegal thing, they go flat, but I cant do this the whole day. Thanks.

This is perhaps the most common question, even those who exercise regularly. It’s particularly troublesome as we get older, because we lose muscle mass and that makes it more and more difficult to combat the body’s frustrating tendency to store fat, which is really the problem here. Our genes determine where that fat is deposited, which is why some people battle with the stomach, others with arms or thighs. Now I know you say you have no fat there, but there must be some because otherwise you'd see more definition that maybe you are currently.

The exercises you've been trying do help, but maybe you need to also look at more dynamic training of the stomach muscles - crunches, situps, leg raises etc., to help with the definition and muscle development.

But the key, I still believe, is cardio training to change fat distribution.

Finally, remember that diet is the great “enabler”. If exercise is perfect, but diet poor, then you undermine your progress. So cover that base, perhaps by seeing a dietician, and get cover all three bases.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/09/22

Reply to fitnessdoc