Posted by: Q | 2009-02-02

Low White Cell Count

Hi Doc,

I was told by my doctor that my blood test results shows a low white cell count, but apparently just below normal and he would like to my take immune boosters.

I was also tested for my liver, thyroid, kidneys, for insulin and estrogen and it all is fine.

What can be the cause of my low white cell count?

Can it be the cause of my extreme tiredness, dizziness and hair falling out?

Hi Q
Sometimes anemia, bacterial, parasitic or viral infections or certain medications can cause suppression of the bone marrow causing low white cell count. Tickbite fever can also cause low white cell count. The tiredness, dizziness and hair loss is probably due to the underlying disease rather than to the low white cell count.

Posted by: MARITA | 2009-04-16

What is the symptons of a low white cell count? And what can be done to help against for example tiredness?
My daughter is 5 and due to a difficult birth have a low white cell count. Will this be out grown?

Reply to MARITA