Question
Posted by: Giri | 2008/06/12

Low white blood cell count

Hi doctor
I've just had a blood test and my white blood cell count is just below normal 3.93, it was tested 5 months ago and it was also just below normal. My iron levels were also tested and were very low with the first blood test five months ago but I used an iron supplement for 3 months and with the latest blood test my iron level is 11.6.

I have not had any infections or any ilnesses in the past year (not even flu), so I don't really know why the white blood cell count is not normal and my doctor is also clueless but not worried.

I should add that I take multivitamins, B-vitamins, calcium and Viral Choice every day.

Should I be concerned about my white blood cell count?

Thanks for the advice.

Dear Girl
"Normal" white blood cell count is the range that most people would have, but this does not mean that this is what you should have. If you don't have any symptoms or side effects due to this and the level is stable, it may be "normal" for you. I would just monitor it every 6 months with a full blood count to ensure that it stays stable.