Posted by: Chireen | 2012-10-19

Low testosterone and fertility

Hi there,
What, if any, is the link between low testosterone in a female and infertility? I have been struggling to fall pregnant for about 10 years and this low testosterone was discovered a few years ago when I went for a full medical. is there a link? I have never been to a gynea, but did go to a GP for a check up almost 2 years ago and she claimed all was well with me.
Please can you give me some answers? Thanks!

Dear chireen
The association between low testosterone and egg quality hence, therefore infertility has been a matter of debate for some time and is still contentious. Many subjects had been out onto THEA to supplement androgen deficiency. However from a recent publication it is noted that to date there is insufficient scientific evidence, to use THEA in patients who are recommended as poor responders or who do not produce good quality or numbers of eggs. According to the latest publication, further trials and studies need to be conducted to prove the benefits of androgen supplication in cases of fertility.
Answered by Dr M.I.Cassim