Question
Posted by: Lady Cyclist | 2010-02-18

Low testosterone?

hi, i am woman aged 27 and have been training intensly for mountain biking for almost a year now. I have seen a biokineticist and am on a great program, however if i look at my female friends doing similar they are much more muscular and stronger than me. i cant loose bodyfat but am training so hard if i do more i will prob over train. could this be due to low testosterone levels and how can I increase my levels? i am getting so frustrated, i count calories, take meal replacements and have basically perfected my diet. please help i am on the verge of throwing in the towel, why go to all the effort of hours in the gym and in the saddle and i dont look like a cyclist? Please help

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Dear Lady Cyclist,

I know how frustrating it can be, but do not throw in the towel! All your hard work will be rewarded in the end!

It is very difficult for me to assess your current dietary intake as you do not give a lot of information. I am also unsure of where you got your dietary information from. The best advice I can give you is to see a registered dietitian who can go through your training regime and eating habits and make sure these two are supportive of one another. It is very important to take note of the timing of your nutritional intake - before, during and after your workout / cycling sessions. If you can optimize your intake with the right amount of carbohydrate and protein before, during and after all your training, I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised with the results!

A good sports dietitian will also be able to send you for the necessary blood tests, if she thinks it is indicated.

Good luck!
Kind Regards,
Sunita

1
Posted by: Sports Nutrition | 2010-02-22

Dear Lady Cyclist,

Good luck!
Kind Regards,
Sunita

Reply to Sports Nutrition