Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2012-06-18

Low Sperm Count

Good morning,

We have been TTC for little over 2 years.
I had a progesterone test done, to see if i am ovulating, results were positive.

Hubby got his Sperm Analysis result on Friday.
His results showed a low sperm count and " texture"  of sperm isn''t enough to make a pregnancy happen.

Had a very sad day, as we do not know what to expect and where to now.

Doctor has directed us to Dr. van Schouwenburg.
Any input on this, little more detail on what is to expect, the reasons for this result and what will happen now?

Dear Kelly,
It is certainly advisable to seek the advice of a fertility specialist in this regard. The most advisable approach in this situation is to repeat the semen analysis with another laboratory and correlate the results for consistency. If both results are very similar than some form of ART may be necessary either in the form of insemination or invitro fertilisation. The advice of the urologist may also be of great value to see guard possible reversible causes to the problem.
Answered by :Dr M.I Cassim