Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2009-08-04

Low Sperm Count

Dear Fertility Expert

My wife and I have been trying to conceive for over a year now. Her gynae has sent me for a sperm analysis and the results reveals that I have a very low sperm count. Please can you advise me if there is anything that I could do to increase my sperm count as we really want to have a child. I am willing to whatever it takes to have a child. The more information that you can give me the more you will be helping us.

Thank you and best regards

Dear Concerned

It is not only important to find out if you have a very low sperm count but you need to also find out how good the quality of the sperm is i.e. sperm morphology and how many percentage of the sperm are motile after a certain number of hours of assessment. So there are 3 important parameters when one ascertains how bad or good a semen quality is. What is important is the avoidance of smoking and alcohol. Also eating healthy and exercising together with the above may improve your semen analysis parameters. There are some conditions that may cause you to have an abnormal semen analysis such as the presence of a varicocele. I would suggest that you visit an urologist to ascertain if there are any correctable factors present in your particular case that may help improve that sperm count and quality. If however there are no medical conditions present and sperm count persist to be low then I would advise you to seek help from a fertility clinic so that your wife and yourself can undergo assisted reproductive techniques such as artificial insemination or in-vitro fertilization to assist you to conceive.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

7
Posted by: Amore | 2009-08-17

Dear Concerned,
We are also trying to conceive - do remember that the sperm that' s ejaculated today is the product of your lifestyle 3 months ago! Have you tried Staminogro? Staminogro is available at all major pharmacies and really gets you (and your wife' s) reproductive system going when dosage is increased to 4 a day (info on the package insert). My hubby has been on it since Jan 09 (not pregnant yet), but the supplements help alot. He practically has SuperSperm at the moment from the Sperm Analysis. Coffee has also shown to make them swim faster.

Reply to Amore
Posted by: Attitude4u | 2009-08-06

PS Concerned

There are many things that affect sperm count.A few of these are: Alchohol consumption
Smoking
Extreme heat temperatures
Wearing of underpants
STRESS

If any of these apply to you,minimise it :o)

Reply to Attitude4u
Posted by: Concerned | 2009-08-06

Thank you, I will keep you guys posted.

Reply to Concerned
Posted by: Attitude4u | 2009-08-06

Concerned

You are welcome.I hope that our advice has encouraged you and your wife to have faith.Believe me,I went through the same thing in May,I am 15 weeks pregnant today.
Even though you have a low sperm count you CAN still defy the odds and conceive a healthy baby :o)
Please keep us posted on how things are going.
God Bless
:o)

Reply to Attitude4u
Posted by: Concerned | 2009-08-06

Thank you Attitude4U and N for your encouraging words. I am really touched by your encouragement and sincerity. You have given me an my wife hope that there is a chance that we can also be blessed with a healthy child. My wife and I are really appreciative of your advise.

Kind Regards

Reply to Concerned
Posted by: N | 2009-08-05

My husband also has a very low sperm count and our FS put him on folic acid, zinc and vit E and we eventually fell pregnant. Men also have a 40 day cycle so it does take time to work but hang in there!

Reply to N
Posted by: Attitude4u | 2009-08-05

Concerned

I' m really sorry that you have to go through this.My best advice is to relax and when you make love,dont do it with a thought of making a baby.
We were in the exact same position.My fiance had a suspension that something was wrong with him and he couldnt have children.With alot of encouragement I got him to take a sperm analysis.
The day that he recieved his results is the same day I did my pregnancy test.Our Doctor was really concerned for us as he knew how much we wanted kids.His results were a very very low sperm count,so slow that a percentage could not be given.Needless to say,I am pregnant and we see our baby as a little miracle and blessing from God.Have faith and know that God hears your prayers.
I really wish you and your wife the best of luck :o)
May God bless you with a beautiful,healthy child.....

Reply to Attitude4u