Posted by: piper | 2009-01-05

low sperm count

please help, i took a sperm test a while ago it showed that i had a sperm count of 3million,the doctor gave me sperm aid and i don' t think it helps but i didn' t go back for a test,i went to another doctor who wants me to get injections twice a week for a month not sure whether this will help i stoped drinking cause i was a heavy drinker and i liked wamrs baths and seating at warm places but i stoped all this i take cold showers, will eating healthy and drinking more water and taking cold showers help me improove my sperm count?

Dear Piper

By improving lifestyle changes such as eating healthy, avoidance of alcohol and stopping smoking has definitely been found to improve sperm count and quality. However having a sperm count of 3 million is certainly quite low, but bear in mind that not only the count is important, what is also very important is the quality of the sperm and how motile or how good swimmers they are. I would suggest you repeat your sperm count and see if there has been any change from your previous assessment. If there has been no change and/or you as a couple are not conceiving then I would advise a visit to a fertility specialist.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo