Posted by: Carol | 2012-01-24

Low serum ferritin

I am a 41 years old female and had a full blood count done few days ago due to feeling very tired, dizzy, hair loss, dry skin and just generally off. Also anxiety and depression from time to time. I was particulary concerned regarding my thyroid as my mother has many problems with hers, but tests came back normal. The only test that wasnt good was the serum ferritin which was 13, apparently in low normal range. However my haemoglobin test was normal 14 (the finger prick test). I am just wondering if the low serum ferritin on its own could lead to any of these symptoms. My doctor said it cause the tiredness. and prescribed iron supplement. Do you think I should get a second opinion as I really dont feel good.

A low serum ferritin count can cause your symptoms but there are many other conditions that can be a likely candidate. It sounds as if your doctor is capable and I suggest that you reconsult him after taking the iron supplements for at least 7 days. Remember it is your right to ask for a second opinion but I do suggest that you first reconsult your doctor.