Question
Posted by: Louki | 2008-11-27

Low self esteem &  depressed

My best friend passed away in June this year and it hit me very hard. Since then I' ve actually withdrawn into myself and shy away from everyone around me, preferring to be alone. After she died, I started losing weight without even realizing it and have so far lost 6 kilos plus however many centimeters. I' ve dropped a dress size, and although this should make me feel good about myself I feel worse everyday. My weight has " levelled out"  now and I' m not losing anything. Whenever I get on the scale lately I just want to burst out in tears. I can' t bare to look at myself in the mirror, very hard on myself. I feel ugly,fat, worthless, empty. One day I feel alright but the next I feel worse than ever. I have never been able to make friends all that easily and now after she died, it' s even worse. I don' t trust anyone at all and basically only speak when spoken to. I had surgery a month ago and my wound' s taking too long (my opinion) to heal &  that' s also getting to me. Inside of me I just feel like breaking down in tears but when push comes to shove I can' t even get myself to cry. I bottle everything up inside me. I feel so alone and lonely and yet I don' t want anyone around me either. I' m not at all suicidal, but more often than not wonder whether anything is worth while. Today I feel very low again. I hate myself and my life and I just don' t know what to do. I' ve been drinking Nuzak for 2 months now but don' t really feel much of a difference. There' s so much going on in my mind. I don' t sleep and my mind' s constantly busy. Can' t switch off. I' m forever tired and yet I' m extremely restless. Please help???

Grief is obviously a significant part of this situation, and possibly also aignificant degree of Depression. YOu need to see a good local shrink for a proper assessment, and then a discussion of your treatment options. A shrink, not a GP. Nuzak alone does not benefit grief, and counselling, especially of the Cognitive Behaviour Therapy form, is needed as well. This situation CAN be improved.

1
Posted by: rose | 2008-11-27

might be worth taking up a new hobby. i can recommend dancing, lifted me out of feeling sad.
hope you start to feel better

Reply to rose