Question
Posted by: Tom | 2009-04-02

low reps but more weight

Ive been going to the gym for about 4 months now with my main goal being to build muscle, however most of the exercises I do are 2 sets of 12-15 apparently if you are trying to build muscle you should increase the weight and only do around 6-8 reps is this true? How many sets is required or will it always be 2?
Also I was wondering if you could suggest the best weight training exercises.

Hi Tom

Yes, that's true - higher resistance, or heavier weights, builds muscle compared to lower weights. The number of reps is obviously then lower. So you might try to increase your weight, knock the reps down to say 8, and see how it goes.

In terms of sets, not necessarily. Quite a nice structure is to do 8 reps at a given weight, then increase the weight slightly, do 6 reps at that new weight, then come back down and finish on 8 reps at the starting weight. Or you can simply do 3 sets of 8, it's really not that significant unless you're going for very specific adaptations. I'd say go for that option.

GOod luck