Question
Posted by: Edna | 2010-02-14

low Red Blood Cell count

I have an iron deficiency and takes pregamal for that - my hemoglobin count is 11 at this stage, but my red blood count is only 2.58. I read that I must take gentamicin or methyldopa to increase the RBC. In what over-the-counter-medication will I find this? (I' m 80 years old.)
Edna

Expert ImageNatural health

Dear Edna

Gentamicin is an anti biotic and Methyldopa is a indicated for high blood pressure in pregnancy. None would have an effect on the iron levels according to SAMF South Africa Medicine formulary. Are you bleeding from anywhere ? eg, Rectal ? if so the cause of this should be looked at. Also ask your doctor about FoodState supplements. The iron is very easy absorbed with no side effects. other wise try Ferrum phos tissue salts to helps the absorbtion of the iron in the body.

Dr Debbie
www.drdebbie.co.za