Question
Posted by: Jerry | 2010-08-01

Low-protein diet

A blood test indicates that I have moderate chronic kidney disease. My GP advises that I follow a low-protein diet before having a follow-up blood test. Please offer some general guidance.
Thank you for your invaluable service.

Dear Jerry
This is a case where you need to see a clinical dietitian who wll help you reduce your protein intake appropriately depending on the degree of kidney disease. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. Foods that have a high protein content include meat, fish, eggs, legumes, milk and dairy products. You can, however, not just cut out these foods without developing other problems like calcium deficiency (if you stop using milk and dairy products), which is why I would recommend that you rather have a dietitian work out a specific diet prescription for your individual case.

2
Posted by: Jerry | 2010-08-04

Thank you. I have followed  your advice and made an appointment with a dietician.
It seems to me your site is a perfect example of the benefits the internet has brought to the layperson. I appreciate the easy access to expert opinion which you provide.

Reply to Jerry
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-08-01

Dear Jerry