Question
Posted by: mummy2 | 2011/02/04

low progesterone

had a miscarriage and tried again after 2 cycles. got pregnant on first try but was a chemical pregnancy. now am pregnant again and am nervous and stumbled upon low progesterone in my reserch. had my first doc appointment who did a blood test, 315hcg at 17dpo, doing another in 3days. i suggested that he checks progesterone levels and hes not keen on the idea saying even if its low supplementing will not work and can cause defects on the baby. he says if i happen to have low prog levels, nothing can be done. am stuck, want a second opinion, cant survive losing another one, help.

The issue of low progesterone is controversial. Often the progesterone is low because there is a problem with the fetus/pregnancy. There are set indications for supplementing progesterone, so I would go along with your Gynae.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2011/02/07

Definintely go and see another gynae and soon.

Some doctors feel that if you are in danger of losing baby due to low progesterone levels, that this should be allowed to happen as there might be something wrong with the baby and if the pregnancy is saved by the progesterone that you will then have a baby with defects that would naturally have miscarried.

Other doctors feel that many pregnancies of perfectly healthy babies are lost due to low progesterone so they will check your levels and put you on cyclogest or something similar. Research tends to agree with this group of doctors though, as it is rare that a pregnancy saved by progesterone results in a baby with defects - however the risk does exist.

My son who is 7 and very sporty and intelligent was nearly lost at 9 weeks gestation, but I was put on progesterone and did not lose him. My cousin had about 6 miscarriages and after my experience demanded her progesterone levels be checked, they were low in both her pregnancies that she carried to term an her children are also perfectly healthy.

Progesterone is used as a matter of course in people having fertility treatment.

The gynae I see now did not want to test my progesterone levels with my current pregnancy, but I insisted, they were on the low side but within the normal range, so I didn''t use cyclogest this time and am now at 26 weeks. However, I did get him to agree to prescribe progesterone if my levels were low explaining that I was willing to take the risk of any defects. He told me he disagreed with me but would do it because that is what I wished. I didn''t need it in the end though.

Suggest you talk to your gynae about it and if he won''t agree to it, then get an appointmetn with another one whose philosophy is more similar to your own.

Reply to Purple