Posted by: Truth | 2009-08-25

low platelets

Hi, I have low platelets, i bruise easily and am hiv +. im taking folic acid, and iron supplement. What can i do to improve this ? now i have small red spots on my legs. Im terrified, please help

Dear Truth
Low platelets is not something that is specifically caused by HIV, it is a side effect of all kinds of viral infections but it can also be caused by certain medications, auto immune diseases, and sometimes, it just happens (called ideopathic thrombocitopenia - meaning we don't know what the cause is!) If your platelets drop too low, you may need an infusion of platelets. There is no medication you can take for it, so just test regularly so that your doctor can give you infusion if it drops below the critical level. The small spots on the legs may be an indication that it is near that critical low level, so inform your doctor about this.
See also