Question
Posted by: Pollowaki | 2008-11-12

Low / Non existing sperm count

Just a year ago my huband (now 41 years old) sperm was tested and was 100% but when tested a week ago has no count at all. What can be done about it and what can we/he do about it. We desperately want to have a family, but it seems to be impossible now. Please help!

Dear Pollowaki

It is highly unusual for a sperm test to be totally normal a year back and then you test it again and there is absolutely no sperm at all. My suspicion is that one of the tests is incorrect. I suggest you repeat your sperm test at a reputable laboratory or a fertility centre that is experienced in doing sperm testing. If however it occurs that the sperm test is what it is and that there are absolutely no sperm in your sperm sample or no sperm in your semen sample then you have a problem called azoospermia. You will then need to do some blood tests and have a testes biopsy to ascertain if the azoospermia is obstructive or not obstructive. If it is obstructive then there is a high chance that sperm will be present in the testes biopsy and this sperm can then be used to allow you to conceive using a procedure called ICSI.