Question
Posted by: Loren | 2012-03-04

Low Lung Capacity

I am 24 years old. I smoked cigarettes for 8 years. I am now 2 years OFF cigarettes. I obviously picked up a lot of weight. I am 106kg and 1.63 in height. I have mild asthma (chest packs up when I get the flu, but not chronically on any pumps cos I feel it makes my lungs worse). My chest is not weasy or anything, no coughing and no morning coughs, very little phlegm now and then, but I somehow feel like my breathing is slow, like im not breathing to my full lung capacity, when I lay down, then I really struggle to breathe. if for example I should be unconcious, I wouldnt be able to breathe on my own, cos my lungs feel tired and I feel tired. I have stopped breathing in my sleep on 3 occassions, so I only lay on my sides. I dont know if its my lungs or heart or something else like a blocked artery. I need some help with exercises to help bring my lung capacity up and have it working in full force. I am awaiting an operation for my leg so havent walked in 3 months. can do minimal exercise, like crtuches, wheelchair and sitting exercises. when I sing or laugh I get out of breath. Need advice with excersies cos my lungs feel tired and makes me tired. Makes me get heart pulpataions

Expert ImageStop Smoking Advice

Hi Loren
Congratulations on your two years smoke free. I think it's great that you want to start exercising, but you must consult a doctor before starting a programme. The symptoms you describe are very concerning and you need to consult a doctor about them. Please also post this question to CyberDoc or our Cardiologist.

1
Posted by: Stop Smoking Advice | 2012-03-06

Hi Loren

Reply to Stop Smoking Advice