Question
Posted by: XXX | 2011/02/21

Low libido

I have been depressed for over 10years and also suffering from anxiety and panic attacks. Only started treating it for over 6 months and most of the medication didn''t work on me. I was put on 200mg trepiline and finally it started working (although I still get anxiety from hell). Since I have been on antidepressants my sex drive started getting less and getting an orgasm is impossible. Before, even though I was depressed, I still enjoyed sex. Now I''m pretty neutral. Is there a way to get my sex drive back?

Thank you in advance

Most antidepressants cause a decrease in libido / sex drive in SOME of those who take them, male or female. But not in everyone. Discuss this with your psychiatrist, as a different type of AD might suit you better, both as regards the annoying swexual side-effect, and because the Trepiline doesn't seem to be dealing well with the anxiety aspect of your problems. If you have been treated so far only by a GP, I think it's best, especially when there is anything less than an excellent response first time round, to get assessed and discuss treatment options, with a specialist psychiatrist, though once the best treatment has been identified, a GP can coninue to mprovide the prescriptions and monitor progress.

1