Posted by: trying | 2009-03-04

low kj diets - advise

I' m not very good with strict, structured diets so have decided to go with a " count as you go"  KJ restricted regime.

Firstly, I weigh 55 kgs (5ft3 tall), i would like to weigh 48-49 kgs. How many KJ' s am I allowed per day. My assumption that 4000 should be a good target. Is this ok?

A few questions:
1. Diet cooldrinks: Drinks like Pepsi light and Max have very few KJ' s does this mean I can drink as much of it as I like?
2. Sugar vs. Canderal, is it ok for me to use the canderal or should I just reduce the amount of real sugar ?
3. Skim milk vs. low fat?
4. tea and coffee. should i cut out completely and replace with Rooibos? or am i still allowed a cup or two a day
5. What fruits should I avoid when counting KJ' s

finally, what happens if i break all the rules. eat the fatty, bad stuff but keep it within the KJ count, will I still loose weight? will it be bad for my health?

Dear Trying
Why are you trying to lose more weight? Your present BMI = 21.5 which is already ideal for you height. If you weigh 48 kg then your BMI would equal 18,8 which is too low. So you don't need to force your body to lose weight! By all means do some exercise to tone and firm up your body, but don't subject yourself to a 4000 kJ a day diet which is also far, far too low. In general people who actually need to lose weight are advised to have 6300 kJ per day. To answer your questions: 1) If is never a good idea to use any food or beverage in excess, so even although Pepsi Light and Max are sweetened with artificial sweeteners and contain practically no kJs, you should not go overboard drinking them. 2) You can use Canderel (a non-nutritive sweetener), but you don't need to! 3) Using skim milk and/or low-fat or fat-free milk helps to reduce your fat intake, so use the type of milk that you find acceptable 4) You can eat any fruits because you don't need to lose weight!
If you ate fatty foods but managed to keep you kJ count below the level of 6300 kJ per day you would not gain weight and would possibly lose some weight, but high-fat foods are generally bad for heart health and are associated with an increased risk of certain cancers.
Think carefully before you subject your body to starvation when you are already slim. Don't go down the path of anorexia either.