Question
Posted by: Jen | 2012-07-30

Low Iron- What are my options?

Hi doc,

I hope you can help me. I am at my wits end.

I went to see a GP and a specialist physician for low iron November 2011 and January 2012 respectively. I had blood tests done with the GP, my iron levels were 4.5 (whatever the measurement is). My GP prescribed a different contraceptive to the one I am taking, and an iron suppliment I have tried before.

The physician kept me on my current contraceptive because my period is very regular, not heavy at all (and it works for me the best). He prescribed a different iron tablet that I hadn''t tried before. He also told me that I will start to feel better in a few months.

Well, I have been on this iron suppliment for more than seven months and while I did initally feel better a few months in, I feel like I am going completely backwards now. I am falling asleep at 20:30 in the evenings again, wake up exhausted, cannot get through the day without wanting a nap (and without taking a nap on weekends)... I''m so tired!!!

The GP did also check my thyroid, kidneys and liver as well and all was fine... the only problem is my iron.

What else can I do? I am sooooo desperate!!!

Jen

I suggest that you reconsult your doctor for blood tests to see if your iron count has improved and if you are anemic. A person becomes anemic when the iron count is low. Ask your doctor why you have a low iron count, as this is a symptom and not a diagnosis. It is possible that you might need a referral for a gastroscopy and colonoscopy to determine if you loose iron through the gastro-intestinal tract. A low iron count can make you extremely tired but it is important for your doctor to investigate the cause.

2
Posted by: Jen | 2012-08-01

Thanks Latoya. I do eat a lot of iron rich products in general (I eat beetroot and beans like three times a week). I''ll take folic acid though, thank you.

I do try my best to eat healthy, I eat healthy breakfasts (Jungle Oats or All Bran Flakes- all fortified with iron), I try use as little oil as possible when cooking, eat mixed veggies almost everynight... it''s just like nothing works! :)

Reply to Jen
Posted by: Latoya | 2012-08-01

Hi Jen

I used to have low iron as well, was told that I need to eat lots of spinach, beetroot, liver, and take folic acid tablets, my blood pressure is now fine, also I have noticed that eating healthy does help in any problem you have.

Try the above mentioned and see how you feel

Reply to Latoya