Question
Posted by: Chantal | 2012-01-31

low iron etc

I posted this previously but see it wasn''t answered.
I have sometimes low blood sugar, have recently discovered I have low iron too (my iron stores are 6). My GP has put me on iron tabs.
I am also running about 45 mins 3 x week, I am sure I am not getting enough protein. Do runners have more specific dietary requirements? I eat a smoothie for breakfast with oats, fruit, yogurt and juice, and then salad for lunch and then who knows what for supper, but do eat lots of veg.
Any particulare advice?
Would it be wise to see a nutritionist?
many thanks
Chantal

Dear Chantal
I apologise if your question was not answered previously, but we did have a lightening strike awhile ago which fried my PC, so I was offline for about a week! From what you say, it seems that you eat a vegetarian diet which does not contain much protein, iron, calcium, omega-3, zinc, etc. I would really recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). It would be prudent to ask the dietitian to evaluate your present diet and then to provide you with a balanced, vegetarian diet that does provide you with more protein and all the other missing nutrients. Foods such as legumes (dry cooked or canned beans, peas or lentils and soya) are excellent sources of protein, vitamins and minerals. Please mention to the dietitian that you have an iron deficiency and that you are a runner. Runners who train hard have an increased iron requirement because the running action breaks up some of the red blood cells in the body and extra iron is necessary to replace these blood cells again. Your low blood sugar is probably due to a low carbohydrates intake, so if you could have some seed or rye bread with each main meal, it should help.
I do hope the dietitian will assist you with a vegetarian diet that provides you with a higher protein and iron intake.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-01-31

Dear Chantal