Question
Posted by: Ketchup | 2010/03/01

Low Iron &  Blood Pressure

Hi Doc, I’ m what I consider to be a pretty healthy person- I’ m 23 years old, do an hour of exercise at least 4 times a week, eat 4 meals a day, I don’ t always get my fruit and veggies in but I try. Now I’ ve always had low iron and I’ ve been taking molasses forever and it used to help but I don’ t think it is anymore- I’ m feeling very tired these days. I eat a lot of meat and beans and all the things high in iron. I tried to donate blood in December and my reading is usually about 13 (4 donations ago it was 12.5) but last time the machine couldn’ t even give a reading. Now I tried to donate yesterday and my blood pressure was too low (a problem I’ ve never had before) - the reading was 90/60 so I again couldn’ t donate. Could the low blood pressure be the reason why I’ m extra tired? What can I do to increase both my iron levels and blood pressure?

Hallo Ketchup
You can try Akrinor or Effortil for the low blood pressure (not easy to get hold of these days)Low blood pressure can make you feel terrible but is not dangerous. Check your HB at the pharmacy clinic - anything above 12 is OK. If lower than this you should maybe take an iron supplement.
dr Bets

2
Posted by: Susan | 2010/03/01

It could definitely be the reason why you are so tired, I suffer from the same problem and there''s not really anything they can do, you can take medication for the low blood pressure (I choose not to) or learn to live with it, I found that eating something salty on a regular basis helps. The dr also said that regular exercise lowers blood pressure. The good thing is that low blood pressure is actually healthy, except you feel like crap!
You should get your Iron levels tested regularly (if you suffered from it once, it will happen again). Some people''s bodies simply cannot absorb iron form food sources. I found that if I''m really tired that Vitamin B injections really helps.

Reply to Susan
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/03/01

Hallo Ketchup
dr Bets

Reply to cyberdoc