Question
Posted by: Nicole | 2012/02/22

Low iron

Hi Cybershrink

My iron levels, B12 and Folate are dangerously low.
I have inherited my mom''s pernicious anemia it seems.
It very easily costs R800pm:
Chela Fer x 2 per day = R438 pm
12 x Vitamin B12 injections at R50 each (R50 per week)
A folate supplement R100pm
Another general supplement R212pm

Nicole

It has long concerned me, when others rant about the high cost of new expensively developed drugs, that the real rip-off lies in the greatly inflated prices of vitamins, iron, and similar very simple medications, not in patent, around for decades or longer, and cheap to make.
GOod luck !

2
Posted by: Alexa | 2012/02/22

I can''t imagine why any medical aid wouldn''t provide cover for meds needed to treat a hereditary disease.

Have you asked your pharmacist about it though? Whenever I go to pick up a prescription I ask my pharmacist about the meds prescribed, they are generally very helpful and might be able to point you in the direction of a much cheaper generic alternative of brand name meds such as Chela Fer or even give you advice about a cheaper general supplement (R212pm seems steep).

Just a thought if you haven''t already done so. Maybe make a post on the pharmacist forum here, so far I haven''t seen bad advice posted there and it never hurts to ask.

Reply to Alexa

GOod luck !