Posted by: Mhimhi | 2009-01-27

Low impact cardio

I' m looking for low impact cardio exercises which include the upper body that I can to at home. I don' t like going to the gym at this time of the year, too many people for my liking. My neighborhood has a lot of bushes and development going on, so I really don' t feel safe walking or jogging. So I decided to do cardio and strength (dumbbells) at home. This has proved to be sooo convenient for me, cause no matter what time I get home I' m able to sneak in some exercise.

Now I leave on top of another apartment I can' t be skipping and such or my neighbors downstairs will complain. Hence I' m looking for low impact cardio exercises that include an upper body work as well. I have about 7 that I' m currently doing for a minute each and repeat 4 times. I admit these have proved good for my joints especially my knees. I need some that are going to include the upper body as well because the ones I' m currently doing just use the lower body only.

Looking forward hearing from.

For the lower body, it's much easier - cycling, rowing, elliptical trainer, stairmachine etc. The upper body is difficult if you don't have access to equipment.

Skipping definitely isn't it. Apart from the impact, there is also the matter of the intensity, which is really high and difficult to get a decent session. It forms part of the training, but alone can't be the only part.

So my advice, which I know won't be popular, is that either you have to brave the gym once or twice a week, or you have to look at starting to exercise in your neighbourhood, perhaps by joining a group or club, or by recruiting your friends to train with you. I don't mean to sound flippant about it, but it's really important.

The skipping and the dumbbells are great, and you should continue to use them, but I just worry that alone they won' be enough. In terms of a programme, have a browse through the Fitness page of the site, click on "programmes" and then see what you have at your disposal.