Question
Posted by: stacey | 2011-08-16

low immunity and depression?

After a severe asthma attack (generic cortisone inhaler failed me) I landed up in hospital in june.have had loads of cortisone (apart from the fact that I have been on cortisone for over 44 years anyway). I feel so down. I have zip energy. I nearly fainted moving some files at work. I can''t exercise. I keep telling myself I am lucky I do not have cancer but it does not work. I can''t seem to come right. They say my immunity is very low. Nothing is helping it (vitamins) I just don''t know what to do with myself to come right. I''m 46 year old female.I had to put my dog down and give away my cat. I think it is showing on my face at work &  my energy &  concentration is not there. Still barking and coughing as well. Blood tests show it is asthma (allergy) and inflammation.I''m thinking maybe all the cortisone (inhaler, prednisone,drip, injection &  in nebuliser) have made me depressed?And I have gained 6kg despite the fact I was so ill.
Depressed or what???

OK, cortisone can be unhelpful for your level of immunity, and can also be associated with depression or similar mood disorders. Any significant illness is stressful and can be depressing. I wonder who the "they" are who say your immunity state is low. Depression is a common disorder anyway, and chronic illness and cortisone use can increasse the risk. Depression often affects appetite and weight, but can go in either direftion - increased appetite and weight, or decreased. I'm awfully sorry to hear about your dog and cat.
Its not clear who has been dealing with your illness(es) so far, maybe a GP ? Whenever things get so complicated, it's usually wise to get the opinion of a specialist, in this case at least a medical specialist in asthma, and maybe a psychiatric opinion, though the symptoms of depression are usually quite clear, and the use of antidepressants fairly widely understood among other doctors, even a psychiatrist. And counselling could help you to cope better with the burdens of illness, and to recover sooner and better

1