Question
Posted by: Cindy | 2009-07-09

Low GI Shake on Low GI Diet

Hi Diet Doc,
Sorry for giving you only half a story.

I was put on a low GI Diet by a Dietician for Inuslin Resistance. I go to gym in the mornings and cant really stomach food so i drink a Low GI Shake instead, Energy intake per glass is 421.2 KJ. the dietician told me that they dont want me to drink the shake because it interferes with energy levels and i was wondering if this was true? Is so what do you recommend i have in the mornings for breakfast before gym, i usually gym and hour and half before i wake up.

Many thanks

Dear Cindy
Thanks so much for clarifying the situation. Now if the dietitian has worked out a low-GI diet for you which will also help you to lose weight, then she will have divided your energy intake for the day of let's say 6300 kJ (usual for adult women wanting to lose weight) into approx. 4 or 5 installments - probably 3 larger meals and 1-3 snacks. If 2 have been given 4 eating instalments, then each one would provide about (6300 divided by 4 =15 75 kJ). So you can use up 1575 kJ for your "breakfast" which in your case would be the low-GI shake which contains 421 kJ plus another 1000 kJ which you can eat after the exercise (e.g. low-GI cereal and a serving of low-fat milk or yoghurt). However, if you have been instructed to have 5 eating instalments a day then you would only be allowed 1260 kJ for breakfast so having the low-GI shake would leave you with only 839 kJ for the rest of your breakfast. I hope this makes sense. The dietitian may be worried that you have the low-GI shake plus all the meals she has calculated for the day, which would mean that you would be having 421 kJ of extra energy per day which would: a) prevent weightloss, b) encourage weight gain. If you really can't face having something like a fruit and yoghurt before you exercise and can't do without your low-GI shake (which I hope is really low-GI), then just keep in mind that you need to cut out 420 kJ somewhere else in your daily energy intake.
I think you should discuss this with your dietitian. Firstly ask her if she has any other objections to this shake, which might well be the case seeing that I don't what you would be using. Then explain to her that you find it difficult to eat anything on waking, but that you need to eat something to sustain your 1.5 hour gym session. Ask her to adjust your energy intake for the rest of the day if she agrees that you can have this shake.