Posted by: gi | 2013-01-23

Low GI Eating Plan

I trust you are well. I was recently tested and the doc said that my insulin tested on 14 and I have to follow an extremely strict Low GI diet and have also been placed on 1000mg Glucophage per day.

Can you give me any information regarding foods to avoid and general tips? A dietician friend of mine gave me a whole list, but it seems wrong. She worked it out on 7500kj per day with a lot of foods that I have to eat including 8 portions of starches, 2 fruits, 4 portions of non-starch veg and much much more. For a person who only eats once a day, that seems excessive.

I also read that for example, potato and sweet potato should be avoided and to use full cream products instead of low fat. Her diet plan contradicted this.

Any help would be useful.

Dear GI
I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with insulin resistance. However if you follow the instructions provided by your friend the dietitian which all happen to be correct in regard to low-GI eating, and start doing some form of regular aerobic exercise like brisk walking every day for 30 min, you will probably be able to improve your insulin resistance dramatically. I think you have misconceptions about the treatment of insulin resistance (IR). It is not necessary to reduce your energy intake down to a level where you will faint with hunger, it is not necessary to cut out all carbohydrates (i.e. starchy vegetables, sugars and starches, cereals and grains) and eat only high-fat protein foods to control your IR - no Atkins diet, no gorging of proteins and fat. You will achieve your goals by eating a balanced low-fat, low-GI diet that contains low-GI carbohydrates, lean protein and small amounts of healthy fats. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. You can visit the Website of the Glycemic Index Foundation of SA at: to obtain more information, including books that explain the principles of the diet.
Your dietitian friend was giving you good advice.

Posted by: gi | 2013-01-23

Sorry, I just want to add that the other tests, including cholesterol, blood sugar, blood count, thyroid was 100% normal

Reply to gi