Posted by: Gemini | 2013-02-21

Low GI Diet

Doc, I went to a dietician and again they have put me on a low GI diet. It is too much carbs and too much food, I cannot believe that one can loose weight with so much food and carbs. I need to lose between 6-7kg. Please assist

Dear Gemini

Many people think that to lose weight they need to 'suffer' and that 'carbs are fatal for weightloss'. However the success of the low-fat, low-GI diet for weightloss and improving blood glucose and insulin levels has been repeatedly proven in international studies. If you are of the opinion that you need to 'starve' and 'avoid carbs' then I cannot really help. It is up to every individual to decide which diet he or she wishes to use both for everyday use and for slimming and for the treatment of every type of condition that is influenced by food intake. As Dietitians, we can only provide advice. The decision is up to you. You could give the advice you have received from your dietitian and which you have paid for a chance for 4 weeks. If you have a problem with the recommendations your dietitian had made, please phone her and discuss the problem.