Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2012-09-27

Low GI diet

I have been told by doctors that I have to follow a low GI diet as I am insulin resistant as well as suffer from hypoglycemia which they have said can all be controlled with Diet.
What I am having a problem with is not knowing what quantity of a food one can eat, could you possibly recommend a site or somewhere I can go and read up on all this information?
Many thanks for your time

Dear Michelle
From what you say, it is evident that the doctors did not refer you to a registered dietitian to assist you with the use of a low-fat, low-GI diet. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as hypoglycaemia, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. You can also contact The Glycemic Index Foundation of SA at: www.gifoundation.com to obtain more information, including books that explain the principles of the diet. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).
But your starting point is to consult a registered dietitian.

3
Posted by: Jitendra | 2012-10-14

Nordic whites lanehcud the first object into outer space (Germany). Nordic whites are the ones who invented the telephone (Scotland). Nordic whites are the ones who invented the first electric light (England).Please don''t try to pretend there is a racial difference. The first Roman emperor had blonde hair and blue eyes. Plenty of mediterranean people had red hair, blonde hair, green eyes, blue eyes and look just like the more northern Europeans. Surprise surprise we are all closely related by genetics.

Reply to Jitendra
Posted by: Michelle | 2012-09-27

Sorry I forgot to mention I also suffer from Hight Cholesterol of 8.9 Doctors have said to follow low gi eating before they will place me on medication so I am really wanting to make sure I do the correct thing as I truly do no want to have to medication to maintain anything.
thank you again

Reply to Michelle
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-09-27

Dear Michelle