Posted by: Nash | 2009-02-04

Low GI Diet

Good day,

I would like to ask if this eating plan supports losing weight. During the first 2 weeks I lost 5.5kg but for the last 2 weeks my weight has stayed the same. Honestly I have been struggling to drink 2L water a day - drinking between 1L and 1 1/2L. Could that influence the fact that I am no longer losing kgs ??

Breakfast: 1/2c Bokomo All Bran or 1/4c Wholewheat Pronutro, glass of low fat milk
Snack: A apple and 1Tsp cashew nuts
Lunch: 2 slice low GI bread + 1/2c cottage cheese low fat / 30g low fat cheese / 1/2 tin tuna plus a salad or celery sticks
Snack: A fruit and 100ml low fat yoghurt
Supper: Chicken +/- 100g and veggies and rice (following recipes in the Sustained Energy recipe books).

Many thanks.

Dear Nash
Your low-fat, low-GI diet sounds reasonable to me and it is evident that it works because you have already lost 5.5 kg in weight. Give your body a chance to adapt to this new mode of eating and do some exercise to simulate your metabolism to get your weightloss going again. It is not necessary to drink more than 2,5 litres of liquid a day (this includes everything you drink, not just water) and drinking too much liquid can cause problems such as electrolyte imbalances that may cause water retention and make you weigh more even if you have lost fat. So stick to 2,5 L of liquid in total per day.

Posted by: Nash | 2009-02-04

Forgot to add:

I drink 1 tin of Lipton Ice Tea lite a day. And my husband and I have one " off"  meal a week and sushi once a week.
My BMI is 29.8 and I am desperate to lower it. I am also trying to conceive...could I continue with this eating plan should I get pregnant ??

Reply to Nash