Question
Posted by: Joanne | 2010/03/15

Low GI

Hi Doc, me again....
My partner and I went to see a dietician regarding her diabetes (type2) and our high cholesterol levels. I am really sorry to say that we were most disappointed as she seemed only to want to focus on weight-loss as opposed to good health. After following her reccommended diet for 5 days, my partner''s blood sugar levels were all over the place ( between 7.9 and 10.1). Needless to say we are quite despondent and just don''t know who to turn to.
We are quite keen to try a low GI diet, but are not sure how many GI to have at each meal. Would you be able to help?
We have all the food lists with their respective GI counts, but need to know quantities before we begin.
Please help if you can, desperation has set in!
Thank you and kindest regards
Joanne

Dear Joanne
I am sorry that you did not ask the dietitian you consulted these questions. One reason why the dietitian may have emphasised weightloss, is that by losing weight it is possible to reduce cholesterol levels and also improve blood insulin levels (sometimes to a point where the patient can reduce his or her medication). So weightloss is indeed a worthwhile goal to strive for if patients have high cholesterol levels and diabetes. I would recommend that you contact the dietitian again and ask her to explain in greater detail how many portions of low-fat, low-GI food she would recommend per meal for each of you. I cannot recommend how many portions of low-fat, low-GI food you and your partner should be having because I do not have all the facts to hand and would not be able to work out diets for you and not all my other Readers which would not permit me to do my job. So please contact the dietitian once more and ask her these questions and also mention that your partner's blood sugar levels have been very erratic. To learn more about how to use the GI, I would recommend that you contact the SA Glycemic Index Foundation at: www.gifoundation.com, where you will be able to order books that explain how to apply the low-GI diet. Also contact Gabi Steenkamp at info@gabisteenkamp.co.za who has published a series of excellent books on the low-GI diet.
Hang in there

1

Dear Joanne
Hang in there