Posted by: Carol | 2012-09-18

Low Ferretin levels

I am in need of some advice I have had my Ferretin levels tested 2 in the last month and it is currently at 8. My GP put me on Iron supplements and told me to double the dosage in the hope it would boost the level i ate as much iron rich foods as i could find yet my level did not change by even a point. I am constantly tired cant sleep and have become moody and irritable and seem to be forgetting things not sure if it is from the low iron. Also i am having problems swallowing. My GP has spoken to a haematologist who said they can do a bone marrow biopsy but they arent going to do it as i am probably just not able to absory the iron, They are thinking of doing an iron IV but if I can not absorb the iron I fail to see the point in doing the iron IV. Any advise or opinions would be greatly appreciated as i can not continue like this.

Iron is absorbed in the last part of the small bowel. There are instances where iron is not absorbed and then the only treatment option is an intravenuous form of iron. An intravenuous dose of iron does not have to be absorbed by the body, as it is given intravenuously.