Question
Posted by: Corinne | 2010-07-21

Low fat milk

Why do dieticians recommens low fat milk when the fact is that you need the cream to absorb Calcium and as a source of Vit D - or are they all in the supplement market?

Dear Corinne
As dietitians we recommend low-fat milk to patients who need to lose weight to ensure that they do still ingest more than 1 mg of calcium per ml (according to the latest edition of the SA Food Tables low-fat or 2% milk contains 122 mg of calcium/100 ml and full-fat milk contains 120 mg of calcium/100 ml). Dietitians have to be pragmatic, so it is better to have patients use low-fat milk when they want to lose weight than to have them CUT OUT ALL DAIRY when the are slimming, because (and I quote) "Milk contains so much fat!". The avoidance of all dairy products is common among individuals who are trying to lose weight, esp in young women and adolescents, who need their 1200 mg of calcium per day the most because this is the period in a woman's life when she deposits most of the calcium she will require in later life in her skeleton. Vitamin D can luckily also be produced by the human body if the skin is exposed to sunlight for 30 min a day, something I always try to recommend to Readers. And please note that I am NOT in the supplement market and take exception to this accusation. Since the publication of the research findings that taking vitamin and mineral supplements can increase mortality, we as dietitians are now warning patients against taking supplements unless there is an urgent need.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-07-22

Dear Corinne