Posted by: Lilly | 2008-11-04

Low fat dinner?

Hi Diet Doc

I am 24 years old and am about 20 kilo' s over weight.
I bought some food prodecut for dinner I was wondering if you can tell me if these are healthy and low fat:

1. I &  J' s Extra LIght Crummed fish:
Fat: 1.9g / 75g Serving
Energy: 452kj / 75g Serving

2. Pick n'  Pay Choice Butternut Soup
Fat: 1g / 30g Serving
Energy: 467 / 30g Serving

I will be eating a salde with no dressing with the fish and butternut soup for dinner. For Luch I have 3 fruit and a 75g yoghurt and for breakfast 2 slices of Brownbread with low fat cheese.

Dear Leigh
A good rule is to stick to foods that contain 3 g or less of fat per serving. This means that both the fish and the butternut soup are fine. I am just a bit puzzled by the size of the butternut serving - 30 g? - is this the concentrate which you then dilute with water or low-fat milk? 30g of soup is not much - just about 2-3 tablespoons. Anyway your energy intake will be 919 kJ for the fish and soup which only represents 14,6% of your daily energy requirement if you are slimming (6300 kJ/day). You could even have a slice of wholewheat bread with your supper without exceeding your energy intake. Remember that you need to also increase your energy output by doing exercise so start some form of exercise like going for brisk walks or swimming for about 30 min a day.
Hope you lose those 20 kg