Posted by: Anon | 2009-09-28

Low fat diet dont work

You always recommend low fat diets , but the truth is they dont work ? what now ?I have been on the low fat diet for 3 weeks and gym 3 times a week but no weight lost .I feel good and energtic , I sleep better BUT No weight loss , WHY ?(dont have medical problems ).

I bought a book by Dr Holford - The low GL diet bible .Im hoping to get few diet myths right and follow it to the T .Do you think I will lose the weight ?

Dear Anon
The reason why I recommend low-fat diets is that to lose weight you firstly need to reduce your energy intake. Now fat provides 37 kJ or 8 kcal per gram, so for every gram of fat you cut out of your diet you are saving 37 kJ! Compared to fat, carbs and protein only provide 16 kJ or 4 kcal per gram (quite a difference I'd say). However when you do use a low-fat diet then you Also need to make sure that your total energy intake for the day is not too high because then you still won't lose weight! The Low-GI approach is an excellent way of losing weight esp if you suffer from insulin resistance. Just don't get too worried if you can't obtain all the foods that Patrick Holford recommends because he is writing for an overseas audience.
Keep up the gym work as this is making you feel good.

Posted by: Lizette | 2009-10-01

Dear Anon. You' re quite right. Low-fat diets don' t work - in fact they make you fatter in the end. I' ve finally broken the sick cycle of dieting (the low-fat, high carb way) and then picking up the weight again when I happened accross Dr Barry Groves' s website just over a year ago. Check out www dot second-opinions dot co dot uk. (It' s a very old fasioned looking website, but don' t let that put you off, the information contained there is excellent). Or better yet, buy Dr. Groves'  book: Natural Health and Weight Loss. . Dr Groves has a PhD in nutritional science and says that humans should eat (a lot) more fat than what is usually advised, and a lot less carbohydrates. I' ve tried it - lost 11 kgs in the first 3 months with no problem, and have been keeping it off with no difficulty (even with adding the occasional pizza or other " carb"  snack back in to the diet). And it is so easy to eat out with this way-of-life - just have a nice big steak or ribs or seafood with a creamy or buttery sauce and veggies or salad...

Reply to Lizette