Posted by: Bee | 2009-01-20

Low-carb eating

Hi! I would like to go on a low-carb eating plan for a while. Could you advise me how I know which foods are low-carb by means of the nutritional guidelines? Can you check this as with fat content e.g. 5g/100g? Also, can you give me some ideas for low-carb snacks apart from fruit? Thank you!

Dear Bee
I am not in favour of low-carb diets (do a Search on the Diet site with 'Atkins diet' to read about the problems associated with this type of diet. It is more sensible to reduce your fat intake with a low-fat, high-fibre diet and to do regular daily exercise for at least 30 min or more. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Weight Loss' and use one of the balanced slimming diets instead. Foods with a low-carb content are meat, fish, cheeses and eggs, as well as fats and oils. All other foods, including fruit, contain carbs.