Question
Posted by: Neville | 2009/11/13

low carb diet.. still building mucsle?

Hi,, I just want to know if I' d still be building mucsle while I' m on a low carb,high protein diet? I' m taking in much less carbs and extra protein. I' m still doing intense weight training 4 times a week.. will I keep on building mucsle?

Thanx Neville

Dear Neville
The general recommendation for individuals who are trying to build lean muscle tissue is:a) Do as much exercise as possible because it is mainly the exercise that actually builds the muscles (this is a slow process and you will have to be patient), b) Eat a high-carb, low-fat, moderate-protein diet because the carbs provide you with sufficient fuel for the exercise. Taking in too little carbohydrate can prevent efficient muscle growth because carbs have what is called a "protein-sparing effect". Taking in too much protein can also be potentially harmful to your kidneys. I have written many articles on the subject of diets for sportsmen and women. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read articles 4, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 46 to obtain answers to your questions. There is also info on the Fitness site. Click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition'. The articles on carbs, carbo-loading and protein are probably the most relevant to your query.

1

Dear Neville