Question
Posted by: Liz | 2008/06/04

Low Carb diet for POS

I am urgently looking for a low carb diet for polycistic ovary syndrom. I was advised by my gyne to lose as much weigh as possible in the next month before starting further fertility treatment. Please help.

Dear Liz
Although I can understand that you are desperate to lose as much weight as possible in the next month before you start further fertility treatment, I personally do not believe that a low-carb, high-protein, high-fat diet is the answer because such diets are not well balanced and are associated with a number of nutritional problems. Because you suffer from PCOS you probably also have insulin resistance which requires you to use a low glycaemic index (GI) diet. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).
Holding thumbs that you lose lots of weight and fall pregnant.