Question
Posted by: pcos sufferer | 2008/07/28

LOW CARB DIET

Hi there my doctor diagnosed me with pcos and told me i need to go on a low carb diet, please help as i dont know where to start or what to do.

Dear PCOS Sufferer
Patients with PCOS usually also suffer from insulin resistance and overweight. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. A high protein, low-carb diet is not advised as this will increase your blood fat levels. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your PCOS, IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels and reduce weight, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).