Posted by: miss bones | 2008-11-20

low bone density and unfitness of note!

Hey Just interested, really determined to get fit, how do I train myself to run? I don' t know where to start.I also want to get good arm muscles but need an easy exercise as I find certain things to complex to keep up with. Also I have pretty weak bones at the mo, what exercise is best to begin to get fit with without scaring me off for life!?

Very gradually is the key. Depending on the person, of course, but most people have to ease very, very slowly into a running programme. My advice is to begin with walking, and then gradually introduce the running into the programme. The walking and running combo will also be the best for your bones, because they're load-bearing. But how do you know your bones are weak? Is that a measured thing, or subjective? I guess either way, you need to be cautious, but you will be if you get the programme right.

Mya dvice is to check out the Fitness Page of this site, click on Programmes, and then take the walking programmes,a nd get yourself up to say 5km. From there, you pick a running programme, and allow the programme to dictate how you increase the time spent running. This should do the trick.