Question
Posted by: Lyn | 2010/06/02

low blood sugar - not sure

Hi Doc, about 2 years ago i had a strange attack and when taken to the dr was told my blood sugar was very low. I was told to follow a diet and monitor it. over the past 2 years every time i go to the clinic to have a check they tell me my levels are fine. the last few days I have been having the same kind of attacks - late afternoon around 3 pm i start feeling shaky, my head feels light, i have a dull headache, and almost feel disorientated. I also sweat heavily at the back of my neck..
could this be related to blood sugar. I am quite worried as we have a strong family history of diabetes on the female side - i am a female aged 43

Hallo Lyn
It sounds like symptoms of low blood sugar. Please ask your doctor to check your insulin levels and fasting blood sugar levels. Try to eat almost like a diabetic - avoid sugar or refined foods, and eat a protein with each meal, even if it is a small piece of cheese. You can also eat a snack in between meals, something like an apple or yogurt is a good choice.
See http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/hypoglycemia/

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/06/02

Hallo Lyn