Question
Posted by: Shoes | 2012/05/09

Low Blood Sugar Levels

Hi Diet Doc,

I am 39, weigh 58kgs and am 1.82m tall. I know my BMI is under and I do try to eat 6 small meals a day. I struggle to eat though when I am stressed and think I am experiencing low blood sugar levels. My hands shake and sweat, I feel nauseous and irritable. Is there a shake that I can use temporarily, until the stress goes away and I feel like eating again?

Thank you.

Dear Shoes
Your present BMI = 17,5 which is within the anorexic range, so I am really worried about you. The symptoms you describe do sound like hypoglycaemia and this puts you at risk of injury. You can try using a fully balanced liquid meal supplement such as Nutren Fibre which you should be able to buy at your pharmacy. I would recommend that you also try to increase your weight so that you can have a BMI of at least 20 (for which you would need to weigh 66 kg) and that you consult a a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assist you with a diet to prevent low blood sugar or hypoglycaemia. You may also benefit from learning how to cope with stress by consulting a clinical psychologist and doing deep breathing exercises and/or yoga.
I hope that you will be able to learn how to control your stress and that you will manage to increase your weight.

1

Dear Shoes