Posted by: Concerned Sister | 2009-04-15

Low Blood Sugar Levels

Dear Doc

My sister went for a blood test today and her sugar levels are just below 3. I know this is not good. What makes the situation even more worrying, is the fact that she is vegetarian - completely! She doesn' t eat regularly, although she would argue this point. As the older sister, I am very concerned. Is there any way anyone can make her see that eating protein (not necessarily red meat) is beneficial to her health? I really hope you or anyone can help. Many thanks

Dear Concerned Sister
She does not have to eat meat, but should definitely eat legumes, lentils, nuts, seeds, if possible dairy products and with a low sugar level, should try to eat at east 5 meals per day (3 regular meals with a high protein snack mid morning and mid afternoon - for example a handful of pumpkin seeds and an apple)
She may need to see a dietician to help her to work out a low GI diet that will keep her blood sugar stable.
It will also be beneficial for her to take Vit B 12 supplements.