Question
Posted by: Lara | 2012-10-09

low blood sugar?

Dear Dietdoc

Is it possible that one can have worse symptoms of low blood sugar AFTER eating or drinking something than when you''re hungry? It''s the only cause I can think of for feeling so bad. I often get heart palpitations and sweat attacks within an hour after a meal or even just after drinking tea with sugar and milk. I''ve eliminated black and green tea because I thought it might be a reaction to caffeine but I still sometimes get these very unpleasant effects even without any caffeine, which led me to suspect the milk or the sugar. I have had fasting blood sugar tests and also the one that gives you an average blood sugar level over 3 months, and everything was fine. Or can lactose intolerance feel this bad? I do get very windy too.

Dear Lara
From what you say, I would still suspect that you have a problem with your insulin levels and possibly suffer from so-called 'reactive' hypoglycaemia. I would recommend that you consult an Endocrinologist (medical dr who specialises in hormonal disturbances). If you do suffer from 'reactive' hypoglycaemia then you will be producing large amounts of insulin after eating which make your blood sugar levels drop to very low levels very rapidly and can cause the symptoms you describe. But it is important to determine what you are suffering from before we look at changing your diet.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-10-10

Dear Lara