Posted by: Mandy | 2012-06-29

low blood sugar?

Hi Dr
I am 45 yr old female. 2 years ago I had very low blood sugar. I started following a low GI diet and didnt have symptoms for a long time. the last few months I have been having periods (early morning and late afternoon) where I feel shaky, like I need to eat, I feel sweaty and almost as if I want to faint. I have had my glucose tested, I even did that fasting glucose test (where you drink a substance over a period of 2 hours) and all was normal. I dont know what to think? If I eat when I feel like that then sometimes for a short period after that I actually feel a lot worse. I am not on medical aid so tend to just go to the pharmacy for checks, what else could this be?

Are you eating three to four small meals per day? Are you over weight and do you do any exercise? Is there anything spesific that brings these symptoms along? Are you on any medication? On receipt of your reply, the matter will receive my further attention.