Posted by: DS | 2009-03-27

Low blood Sugar

A little while ago I wrote in about the fact that I had given up Sugar for Lent. Unfortunately my energy levels dropped so low that I found myself passing out 2-3 times a day. I have now included sugar in my tea/coffee and if I feel really drained I have a Pepsi which seems to make me feel a lot better for a short period of time. Other than the fainting I have had to learn to deal with extremely low energy levels. I know you mentioned hypoglycemia. I read up on this and I fit the profile perfectly. All the dizzy/fainting spells that I have suffered in the past (even before fasting the sugar) suddenly made sense. I also know that I cannot allow myself to get too hungry or thirsty because I get these " spells" .

Anyway, my questions:

1. Do I have to get tested for Hypoglycemia or can I just adjust my diet. Are there any risks involved in not knowing for sure?

2. : I have been trying to loose the " baby"  fat since my daughter was born 2 years ago but I cannot seem to shake the last 4 kg. If I am hypoglycemic how can I diet without compromising my energy levels? I am generally a very disciplined person. My diet is not bad at all but like I said before, it almost feels like I cannot survive without a chocolate day. Now because of the fast I am not eating the sweets but my body is definitely not handling it very well.

Your advise is appreciated.

Dear DS
It is always safer to have a condition like hypoglycaemia properly diagnosed by undergoing tests - then you know precisely what you are dealing with. So please ask your gp to arrange for a so-called glucose tolerance test to determine your blood sugar and insulin levels so that we can see what is going on. If you should suffer from hypoglycaemia or an insulin imbalance you would need to use a low-glycaemic index (GI) diet. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. These diets are tricky to implement, so you may benefit by consulting a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), esp if you have insulin problems. By combining low-GI with low-fat in the diet you will also lose those 4 kg.
Holding thumbs that you can pinpoint what is causing these sugar lows