Question
Posted by: nadine | 2008-12-12

low blood sugar

Hi Doc I know u have answered lots of questions before on this subject but i really need some advice. I have been told that I have low blood sugar and need to follow a special diet which I am doing. I believe there is not much else one can do. My question is why I am still feeling so awful - headaches, shaky and every day at about 2pm I break out in a sweat and am lightheaded. my mouth is dry and I feel like i need to eat something. I feel quite sick for the rest of the afternoon - no energy etc
there is a family history of diabetes - gran, aunt and cousin (all female - i am a 41 yr old female)
i relocated to jhb several months ago from kzn and i must say the dry heat here also affects me. my mouth is constantly dry.

Dear Nadine

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I recommend that you consult your GP for a glucose tolerance test. This will give us more insight on your prevailing sugar levels. Please keep in mind that if you suffer from low blood sugar, you have to eat at least 7 small meals per day. It is however, important to get the results of the glucose intolerance test, to eliminate diabetes.

There are several other reasons beside low blood sugar that can cause the symptoms that you are experiencing. Ask your GP to do blood tests to exclude these causes, i.e. low iron count, low hemagloben, abnormal thyroid levels, low Vit B12 etc.