Posted by: Celeste | 2008-11-18

Low blood pressure in pregnancy

I am currently 15 weeks pregnant and my blood pressure averages 85 / 60 so I am just avout permanently dizzy and feel terrible. My pre-pregnancy blood pressure averaged 125 / 85.

Is this dangerous? Is there something I can do to lift it a bit or to get rid of the symptoms?

Sometimes it is 100 / 70 and I still feel horrible. Is there something else that can cause it?

What should I do? I can hardly get through a normal day as I am just about constantly feeling ill.

Low blood pressure is not dangerous. You could try Effortil tablets.

Posted by: Laura | 2009-04-23

I stopped taking my birth control pill in mid december so that my fiancé e and i could start trying to conceive, and that was the last time i had my period. It' s been 4 months now since i last had my period, which means i' m not ovulating, right? I' ve done a few pregnancy tests and i' m not pregnant. Is there a tablet or something that i can take to bring back my period? My fiancé e and i desperately want a baby... Thanks.

Reply to Laura
Posted by: Yolanda | 2008-12-04

Hi Celeste,

I am 8 weeks pregnant and also struggling with low blood pressure, even before i fell pregnant. my doctor recommended my husband bring me cream crackers with marmite or bovirole in the morning before i get up and i should eat at least something small such as a yogurt or fruit every 2 hours. I have also been put on a low GI diet, avoid sugar, ie chocolates, fruit juices and take a lot of water, but remember to eat.

Reply to Yolanda
Posted by: Celeste | 2008-11-19

Thanks Mpho!

This makes me feel much better! I am seeing the dr on 1 Dec and will ask him then for something.

I have been lucky with nausea, but can' t take the vitamins in the morning but have started taking them at night just before bed so I sleep off the nausea...

I battled for 3 years to conceive, and this baby is a real blessing, I just wish I could feel better, but I trust God that I will soon!

Reply to Celeste
Posted by: Mpho | 2008-11-18

Just hang in there - i am 27 weeks already with my second child and until i got to 24 weeks i was miserable the entire period. There was a point i wanted to just say i' ve had it but knowing that it took me 6 years to conceive and am 34 already i hanged in there. I had morning sickness all the way and could not stomach anything including supplementary medications. The only food i could keep was porrige 24/7. Just before my 24 week checkup i had a shock since i had lost weight and i had low BP. Got effortil prescribed for the bp and i started gaining control and enjoying the pregnancy and i felt better. Nothing makes me smile than to hear the little movements and all the kicks inside of me.

Ask your dr or midwife for this Effortil Perlong capsules, it did work for me and i am very much better. I am able to take folic acid as well over and above this which i would throw-up at one point.

Stay put and pray that the baby remains safe.

Reply to Mpho