Question
Posted by: Tersia | 2012/03/08

Low blood pressure

I was on high blood pressure tablets all my life. I lost 11 kilos 6 months ago, my problem is i sometimes feel very tired and when i checked my blood pressure over 2 month period it shows a reading of 101/62 (I am 56 years old) I am worried because if they change the medication as you suggested to another reader, wont it become a problem again as the Dr have been struggling for months to get my pressure down.
The blood pressure tablet also has a component that reduces the swelling i currently have around my ankles.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Tersia,

Your blood pressure now is actually on the low side, probably because of all the weight you have lost. In other words you have now managed to get your blood pressure down with lifestyle changes. Well done!
Usually this means that you will now need less blood pressure medication. You don’t mention how many or what drugs you are taking for blood pressure, but almost certainly you will now be able to reduce the number or the doses of the drugs. I suggest you see your doctor and get his or her help to reduce your medication. If it is done correctly this should be perfectly safe, and you can easily restart the medication if your blood pressure becomes too high again.

You have shown forum readers how it is possible to control blood pressure with lifestyle changes, especially weight loss, and thus make it possible to reduce the need for drug therapy. The more one can control blood pressure with lifestyle changes, and the less medication one needs, the better! Well done.

With every good wish, JT

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012/03/19

Dear Tersia,

With every good wish, JT

Reply to Cardiologist